24/07/14 - 11:42 AM

Author Topic: Vertcoin Logo Contest - Create the new logo of Vertcoin!  (Read 2894 times)

casp3r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vertcoin Logo Contest - Create the new logo of Vertcoin!
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »

While our current logo with the V isn't a beauty queen, it is nothing to be ashamed about. Anyway, we saw some of the great logo designs the community came up with and discussed what to do about our logo. As you might have noticed in recent days, we are stepping up our efforts to get Vertcoin to the next level. We are just turning one month old and already have a payment processor with Moolah that people can integrate into their shops to spend VTC.

A lot of people in our community and heavyweights in the crypto space like Big Vern (the guy who runs Cryptsy) see the potential of Vertcoin. Right now we build the platform for all the good things to come and that means more consistency in our branding throughout all media. Thanks to our rockstar community we have funded three important projects last week (the corporate identity guide, the press release and the infographic) and now hope to get the creative minds of this community to help us to create our new logo.

We came to the conclusion that our logo should be aligned with our new currency symbol: (Drumroll!)

The tick or checkmark is a dynamic sign, has the V in it and people associate positive emotions with it. We will gather now logo submissions until early next week. Just make sure the main symbol resembles a ✓ and our beautiful green is in there as well. We will have a public vote in the forum and then an internal vote within the team. We should have a new logo by the end of next week.

Even if you are not a gifted graphic designer, if you have a great idea for a Vertcoin logo, create a basic mockup and we will find someone who can make it look nice and fancy if it is chosen as the new logo.

Simply post your logo here or host it on a service like http://imgur.com and link to it.

Let's take Vertcoin to the next level!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:26:49 PM by casp3r »

casp3r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vertcoin Logo Contest - Create the new logo of Vertcoin!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »
Chris who is working on our kickass animation for Vertcoin has submitted a first logo.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:39:23 AM by casp3r »

webbs

• Vertcoin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
Hey thanks for posting this for me man

I look forward to seeing everyones efforts and getting to know you all

Best

Webb

Othe

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
I like the logo, its simple, clean and looks professional.

Theres no single bit i would change :)

boxxl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
Can we win something? :)

BorisTheSpider

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
I like the logo, its simple, clean and looks professional.

Theres no single bit i would change :)

I am inclined to agree with this. I like the tick theme, and I'm interested to see what logos are submitted, but I think we should definitely consider the option of just not changing it at all alongside the other options.

casp3r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Can we win something? :)

We don't have any big stash of VTC to give away and already spend lots of time working on Vertcoin for free, but the winner can maybe get a cool badge here in the forum next to his name. :)

PingingManager

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
It isn't really a new logo, but I turned the old logo into a 3D coin. After I get off work I'll start working on a new logo as well

Notindexed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »

cg3p0333

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Doesnt this thread belong in the community project category being that it is a community project.  And will you be posting a wallet address so we can donate for a prize for the winner?  Or we could use vertcoinmarket.com to collect donations.

I also think that requiring people to make a design that looks like a check mark is going to squash a lot of creativity.  Who knows what people will come up with if you just let them be creative and do their own thing.  There is possibly something way better out there but we will never know if we are stuck in a box.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:10:58 PM by cg3p0333 »

Devin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
good point. I feel the check is the right way to go, but someone might have a completely new concept if allowed to think outside the box. But there does have to be some parameters to keep everyone aligned on the same path.

Also, for those that have not seen it, this was TotalPanda's (btctalk thread) contribution which would be great for merchants (stickers etc)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:26:34 PM by Devin »

babomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
Hi guys. I have to say I am not particularly thrilled with the decision (or proposal?) to use a checkmark as a currency symbol. It just doesn't look like a currency symbol to me. Of course, that's just my opinion and I may be in the minority -- but I hope that the community has the final say in the matter.

That being said, we recently had a discussion on the subreddit about potential currency symbols which I hope more of the community can take a look at, particularly the devs if they haven't done so yet. The most popular symbols were (the so-called versicle) and (a Canadian aboriginal symbol). While the former probably looks more like your standard currency symbol, it can also look a bit strange/complicated and can vary a bit in appearance depending on the font. Meanwhile the latter gained slightly more favor for being more aesthetically pleasing (symmetrical!), and some folks pointed out that the line down the middle could be indicative of "vertical" as in vertcoin.

Me and another user made some quick mockup designs for a coin logo using the ᗐ symbol, here's one of them. (links to bigger version)

Anyway, I think the checkmark could become a source for confusion because it is not very unique. This is my proposal for an alternative.

I also found a nice looking logo on vertcoin.io (who owns that?)

By the way, I've also made a few reddit-size ads using a couple different logos with a short blurb that I think gets across the point of vertcoin. See here, here, and here. Feel free to use them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:32:23 PM by babomancer »

casp3r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:02 AM »
Babomancer we were deciding between the checkmark and this sign but the majoriety favored the checkmark. There were several nice logos before but we need to get the currency symbol and logo in line and make sure only one logo and font is used. Right now more less every website has their own Vertcoin logo. This is counterproductive for the Vertcoin brand.

mola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »
I sketched the ᗐ logo above, but i think i like the checkmark more! The problem with ᗐ is that it doesn't really look like other currency symbols. It is not elegant or doesn't look like something which is worth a lot. Some could even say that it is like and arrow that points downwards, but worse, because it isn't even and arrow.

℣ is almost there, but something just doesn't do it for me...

✓ertcoin
✓ertan
Give me 10✓!

I like it, good job!

odaxis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
check out the Credit Agricole Group Logo and imagine it inversed.
maybe we could have smth like this?